High-Level Political Forum 2018 - Side Event: Blockchain for Transformation towards Sustainable and Resilient Societies
The United Nations 2030 Agenda emphasizes the role that innovation plays in support of sustainable development. An important emerging innovation that has been in the news recently is blockchain / distributed ledger technology.
Originally, the blockchain’s primary use of blockchain technology was to store and track cryptocurrency transactions (e.g. Bitcoin). However, other uses and implementations have emerged in recent years. Some of these can be used to advance the implementation and monitoring of the SDGs for example by reducing food waste (SDG 12.3), supporting sustainable production by ensuring that products or production inputs are sustainably sourced, encouraging companies to adopt sustainable practices and integrate sustainability information into their products, and ensuring consumers have relevant information for sustainable lifestyles (SDGs 12.6 and 12.7); and providing legal identities and financial services to refugees and the very poor (SDG 2).
Blockchain can be a powerful lever to bring together all the stakeholders involved in value chains and those regulating them: producers, intermediaries, the final consumer – and governments. But value chains are international, and the loops can only be closed in an efficient manner if stakeholders, including governments, cooperate and coordinate across borders.
This roundtable aims at creating a discussion between policy makers, as well as with the private sector, international organizations, major groups and other relevant stakeholders involved in developing innovative solutions based upon blockchain/distributed ledger technology and partnership approach.
This Side Event will take place during the High Level Political Forum 2018. All participants must register on-line to attend the event.
The objective of this session is to:
- Provide a mutual learning space where policymakers can interact with their peers and other relevant stakeholders on the potential applications of blockchain technology and lessons learned from existing applications.
- Advance the implementation and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals, with a particular focus on the transformations enabled by Blockchain towards sustainable and resilient Societies.
- Promote global multi-stakeholder partnerships to contribute to advancing the application of blockchain / distributed ledger technology for the implementation and monitoring of the SDGs.
- Showcase how innovative startups and young entrepreneurs are developing solutions based on blockchain / distributed ledger technology to solve issues related to the SDGs targets under review by the HLPF.
12:30 - 13:00 - Networking, sandwiches and coffee
13:00 - 13:05 - Welcome Address
Ms. Olga Algayerova, Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
13:10 – 13:40 – Keynote session
- H.E. Mr. Tadej Slapnik, State Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister, Slovenia
- Mr. Yoshiyuki Yamamoto, Special Advisor, UN Engagement and Blockchain, UNOPS
- HE Tadej Slapnik, State Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister, Slovenia
- Mr. Ad Kroft, Chair, National Blockchain Coalition, The Netherlands
- Mr. Ben Siegel, Global Project and Partnership Lead, ConsenSys
- Mr. Gregor Novak, CEO SunContract
13:40 - 14:00 – Panel Discussion
Moderated by Ms. Maria Ceccarelli, Chief, Trade Facilitation Section, UNECE
14:00 - 14:30 – Open Discussion